Lately, we’ve heard from many prospective and current applicants about the possibility of interviewing. They go to our calendar and find only gray-ed out days, or they’ve submitted an application with the hopes of scheduling an interview later, only to find nothing available day after day. We know this has been frustrating. With this post, we’re hoping to clear up some confusion around our interview process, as it currently exists.
During the fall, we were able to offer an abundance of on-campus, Skype, and alumni off-campus interviews. As the cycle progressed, these interviews were quickly filled. While we think interviews are a crucial, if optional, part of our law school application, we also have limited resources. We only have so much time during the day to offer interviews; and, unfortunately, we have a limited number of staff, student, and alumni interviewers at our disposal.
At this point, we plan to add a few additional on-campus interview appointments during the months of January and February. Our dedicated and enthusiastic student interviewers will conduct these additional interviews. These appointments will appear on the calendar in the middle of January, once our students return to campus. After this point, it is unlikely more interviews will appear in January or February.
In the meantime, here are some alternatives to keep in mind:
- When reviewing applications, should an Admissions Committee member have any pressing questions, they may reach out to an applicant directly to set up a time to speak.
- When submitting your application, feel free to check the “No, I do not wish to interview” box. If you did actually want to interview but were unable to find an available interview appointment, we encourage you to submit an addendum explaining the situation. You can even take the time to point out relevant information that may have come up during your interview.
- You can also submit the optional essay that indicates why specifically you are interested in Northwestern Law. This will provide the Admissions Committee with additional insight into your motivations for law school, and more specifically why you want to attend Northwestern Law.
- Sometimes people cancel their interviews and something becomes available at the last minute. Cancellations are typically processed at 9:00 a.m. CST Monday through Friday. Feel free to check the calendar at that point to see if anything has recently opened up.
- While we are always happy to answer your questions over the phone, through email, or in person, we can’t magically provide you with an interview. What’s on our calendar is the most up-to-date information.
Unfortunately, due to such high interest, we just can’t meet the demand for our interview program this year. But, we are thrilled that so many of you have taken the time to learn about the process and tried to have one. We hope at least one of our suggested alternative solutions will work for you!